How old must a child be before she can choose not to visit the non-custodial parent that has visitation rights?

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How old must a child be before she can choose not to visit the non-custodial parent that has visitation rights?

I’m 14, turning 15 soon, and I heard somewhere that I can choose not to have to visit my dad anymore. I wanted to know if this is true, and if it is how old I have to be for this.

Asked on March 11, 2012 under Family Law, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry that you feel as you do.  You need to understand that if you do not comply with the visitation order then it will be your Mother that will be held accountable by the court.  The short answer to your question is 18.  The long and involved answer is that your Mother must go to court and ask that the visitation agreement be modified.  You will be asked to testify.  Your reasons have to be valid and not he is too strict.  Think about it.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption