How do we get an extradition bond?

UPDATED: Nov 25, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 25, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do we get an extradition bond?

My girlfriend was accused of shoplifting and when the sheriff ran her ID, they found a warrant from another state. I paid cash to bail her out on the shoplifting charge but could not afford the bond on the warrant. I was told by a bondsman that we need to have the court here issue an “extradition bond” before the local bondsmen will deal with it. How do we go about doing that?

Asked on November 25, 2013 under Criminal Law, Michigan


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

There is no such thing as an "extradition bond." What the bondsmen is trying to tell you or probably should be telling you is that states have agreements and laws regarding extradition to and from other states. There needs to be a legal action here and if the other state wishes to continue with charges and bring her there, there is a legal method to obtaining that bond but first there has to be legal action between prosecution in Michigan and that in Kansas. Talk to a Michigan criminal defense attorney who has specific experience with extradition laws.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption