What do I do if I made a stupid mistake yesterday and was arrested for petty theft?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if I made a stupid mistake yesterday and was arrested for petty theft?

I am barely 18 years old, a high school student, with a clean record. The only problem is that I’m completely broke at the moment and unemployed because I play basketball. I have court tomorrow. What do you suggest I do?

Asked on December 1, 2015 under Criminal Law, Ohio


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Do at least two things:
1.  Ask the court for a court appointed attorney.  Some petty theft cases will not qualify... but if your's does, then get one.  You do need someone to help you through the process.
2.  Arrange for a consultation with a couple of defense attorney's.  More and more are offering free consultations.  You may not be able to hire them, but you can still obtain some info on how to handle your case with the prosecutor.  For example, they can review the facts of your case to see if you have any defenses.  They can also let you know if there are any young offender programs to help you "earn" a dismissal of the charges.  It will take a bit of time, but gathering information on the programs available in your jurisdiction is a minor inconvenience.
When you are visiting with attorneys, also discuss the consequences of different types of pleas.  However your plea is structured is extremely important because if can effect your right to an expunction and can disqualify you from certain government programs (like scholarships) down the road.  So know and understand all of the consequences of your plea before you sign any paperwork.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption