How do I stop a land grabber

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I stop a land grabber

My neighbor is claiming a vacant lot adjacent to his home and telling everyone it
is his land but the county records show that land does not belong to him, he has
began to put up a fence around the property.

Asked on November 3, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you own the land, you could easily stop him: file a legal action (such as a quiet title action) to get a court declaration that the land is not his and an order that he stop doing this. But you cannot enforce *other* people's rights: you have no legal "standing," or recognized legal interest, in another's land that would let you act. All you can do is, if you know or can find (e.g. at the clerk's office, by looking at the deed for this plot) the owner, is let him/her/it (if a business or governmental unit) know what is happening and hope they will act.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption