How can someone put a restraining order on me?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can someone put a restraining order on me?

An ex-supervisor is wanting to put a restraining order against me but I have never threatened her. I have

never harassed her, she tried to ban me from the grocery store I used to work at because she said I slashed her tires. However, she’s only saying all of that because I told my ex-boss that she was drunk and high at work. Since then she has gotten my boyfriend fired as their security guard and me kicked out of the store.

Asked on October 11, 2019 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) You can bring a legal action to challenge the order if you want and feel that she cannot provie the alleged threats. Contact the court issuing it to inquire into how to do this.
2) She can get your boyfriend fired unless he had a written employment contract which prevents his termination for this reason or in this way. When there is no written contract, he is an employee at will and may be terminated for any reason, even factually false or unfair ones.
3) She can also ban you from the store: store management can ban anyone they want if they believe that the person's presence would be disruptive in some way, and they don't have to prove that to enforce the ban.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption