How do I renew my executor letters of administration?

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I renew my executor letters of administration?

I received my original executrix papers over a year ago, many of the assets that I am addressing require them to be less than 60-90 days old. How do I renew them? Must I use a lawyer again (my original lawyer has relocated)?

Asked on August 3, 2011 New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should not need to go through the probate again.   You remain the executrix of the estate until you are discharged by the court at the closing of the estate.  What goes "stale" are the Letters Testamentary which are the certificates that are issued by the court that show that you are still the fiduciary of the estate and can make decisions on legal matters.  The reason that they need to be current is really to make sure that you were not removed or stepped down, etc.  It is a way for the financial institution or whomever you are dealing with to cover themselves.  All you have to do is go to the probate court and ask them to re-issue the Letters and pay the fee oer copy.  This will certify that you are still in charge.  That's all.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption