If my motherrecently passed away, canI still use the automatic deposit from Social Security that was just deposited into her account?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my motherrecently passed away, canI still use the automatic deposit from Social Security that was just deposited into her account?

my mother has passed away the end of last month and has received her social security disability check directly deposited into her account for this month. I need to know if I can transfer what is owed for her rent and bills for last month over to our bills account that rent and bills are drawn out of, or if the state will take it back since she has passed. If I do transfer over the balance what can the state do? She had no assets and lived solely on social security benefits.

Asked on January 4, 2012 under Estate Planning, New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your mother was sent a social security check for benefits accrued post her death, you are not entitled to deposit or actually use the proceeds of that check since the entitlement to the social security checks ended upon her passing.

If you pay out the proceeds from this social security check, the state can go after you for reimbursement of this amount. I suggest that you issue a check back to the state for the amount of the check with a letter advising that your mother has passed away. Keep a copy of all correspondence that you send for future need and reference.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption