How do I reduce my child support payment?

UPDATED: May 29, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I reduce my child support payment?

I live in SC as well as my ex and 3 kids. 2 kids are over 21 and 1 is 16. My payment was a flat amount and not an amount per child. How do I reduce my payment?

Asked on May 29, 2009 under Family Law, South Carolina


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Well, first and foremost, what does your order say about your three kids? It may be a flat amount, but unless you have a special provision in there, 10 to 1 you didn't have to pay for your kids over 18. Was there college or vocational support in the order?

How to reduce? You hire a lawyer (a family law attorney) and go in to court to request a reduction. Be prepared to prove it.  If you don't have a lawyer, try and then check his or her record at the South Carolina State Bar.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption