What is the statue of limitations for filing a car accident claim?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the statue of limitations for filing a car accident claim?

I was involved in a car accident towards the ending of the year I wasn’t driving but I was the passenger. I couldn’t find a lawyer to take my case but I do have

back problems and still have pain unbeliever caused from the incident although it happens more than 6 -7 months ago I’d like to know if I still have a chance at suing the insurance company. I was very naive and mislead about the situation and I just want to know if I can still do a claim in NY.

Asked on June 12, 2018 under Personal Injury, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The statuate of limitations or "SOL", which is the time within which you file (initiate or start) a lawsuit for a car accident in New York is three (3) years: here is a link to a helpful web page put out by the NY court system: https://www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/GoingToCourt/SOLchart.shtml.
Therefore, you have plenty of time still to bring a legal claim for the lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption