How do I go about getting proof of guardianship?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about getting proof of guardianship?

My mother recently passed away and in her Will she’s leaving money to my 2 children who are minors. One of the financial institutions will not release the money unless there is a UTMA designation or have proof from court of

guardianship.I asked if I can provide passports, birth certificates, and social

security cards but they said do I go about this? What forms for I need to fill out or must I use an attorney? I even called the Probate Court and they were unaware of what this financial institution was asking for.

Asked on March 28, 2018 under Estate Planning, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation.  So you are considered the "mother and natural guardian" of your children.  But sometimes a finaicial institution wants you to go to court to be declared the legal guardian of a child to be able to release funds to you.  Mostly to protect themselves against releasing funds to one parent over another parent, especially if they are divorced. Here is a link to help you navigate the system.  You can likely do it yourself but it may pay to go for a flat rate consultation from a lawyer in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption