How do I find an attorney who will take a medical malpractice case regarding a cosmetic procedure that was done to me without my consent?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I find an attorney who will take a medical malpractice case regarding a cosmetic procedure that was done to me without my consent?

I had a tummy tuck done by a doctor who automatically also does liposuction and

I am a size 6. I did not need liposuction but he said he would do light lipo on the small of my back and on my high upper hips. Instead, he did very heavy and deep liposuction on my butt and has left me disfigured. The state does not require that doctors carry medical malpractice insurance which, in effect, leaves every patient without legal rights, and protection when harmed by a doctor. The state bar and county bar association said that none of their attorney’s will take a case if there is no medical malpractice insurance and because cosmetic surgery is an elective surgery, My Doctor has lied and denied everything because he feels untouchable. He also makes everyone sign a contract that it’s arbitration only. I found another woman online who he disfigured too doing liposuction and he paid a settlement to her. She’s out of state but I’m sure there are many of us out there who’s lives have forever changed because of this doctor. I’m crying myself to sleep at night and try not to look at myself now. Before surgery, I was happy with my butt and in a million years I never would have thought that he would do a surgery that I never agreed to and get away with it. How can I find an attorney who will consider or take my case?

Asked on November 14, 2018 under Malpractice Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The only way to find an attorney is to call attorneys and see if any will agree to take the case; there is no right to a lawyer for a civil (I.e. noncriminal) case, so you can do is ask lawyers if they will take it. Google malpractice attorneys for your state--you will get many names. Call them--that's all you can do.
Note that you may not be able to find a lawyer who will take this without insurance. The problem is, without insurance, even if you win, there may be no money: the doctor may be insolvent or broke; he may declare bankruptcy; he may even potentially leave the country and take his money with him. Without a guaranty of payment if you win, a lawyer could spend hundreds of hours on a malpractice case and have nothing to show for it. Very few lawyers will take that chance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption