How do I evict someone living on my land with no rent agreement?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I evict someone living on my land with no rent agreement?

I had a mobile home on my property. I sold and financed the mobile home to a family member. Now that the home is paid for and title has been transferred, how can I make them move the home off of my property? There was never a rent agreement and rent has never been paid.

Asked on July 23, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You have to bring a court  action (that is, a lawsuit) for "ejectment." Ejectment is basically "eviction for non-tenants": it is how you remove someone who was not a trespasser, in that he or had permssion at one time to stay in/on your property, but who no longer has permission. (First, make sure you give them written notice that their permission to stay on your land has been revoked and they have some short but reasonable time [e.g. 10 business days] to relocate.)
Ejectment  actions are not streamlined and simplified the way eviction actions are; you are strongly encouraged to hire an attorney to help you with this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption