How do I cash a check to my deceased mother which is made out to her estate?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I cash a check to my deceased mother which is made out to her estate?

The check is for $400. I am a co-executor of her Will along with my brother. I still have a checking account that is in both mine and my mother’s names which is still active. I also have a $50 savings bond in her name. How do I cash that?

Asked on April 13, 2019 under Estate Planning, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You have to set up and deposit it into a bank account for the estate. The money will then remain there until it is 1) used to pay any costs of the estate; 2) used to pay any valid debts of or claims against your mother; and/or 3) distributed, at the end of probate, to whomever inherits. You cannot simply cash a check made out out to "The estate of..."; it must go into an estate bank account, which, as co-executor, you have legal authority to set up.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption