If beneficiaries of will marry and change their names, do I need to update will?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If beneficiaries of will marry and change their names, do I need to update will?

Simple will leaving everything equally to 3 daughters, who have married and changed their names – is a new will reflecting married names necessary?

Asked on September 4, 2016 under Estate Planning, Maryland


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your Will sets out how you want your estate to be distributed and the law enforces a deceased's intentions. Therefore, if the listed beneficiary in a Will is listed under their maiden name, the probate court will presume that you intended to leave the property to the person named, regardless of the name change. If fact, a Will, Trust or the like don't even need to use a correct or full legal name in order to leave property to a particular person. Accordingly, your daughter's will receive their inheritance even if they are listed under their maiden names and now use married names.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption