How can I help my boyfriend who was just arrested for 4th degree domestic violence assault?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I help my boyfriend who was just arrested for 4th degree domestic violence assault?

The officers said that they peered through a wondow curtain and saw him over me and heard me scream. However, really I was just curled up in a ball crying and he was trying to get my phone from me. We were being loud but he would never hurt me. We’ve been together 5 years and are engaged to be married.

Asked on March 14, 2018 under Criminal Law, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You really can't help your boyfriend but a good criminal defense attorney might be able to. The fact is that whether or not to drop charges is up to th state and not the victim. If there is enough evidence of a crime, even without your cooperation, the case can still move forward. Further, if you are subpeonaed to testify in court, you must appear or risk being held in contempt. Again, at this point, contact a lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption