How would I go about getting a psychological evaluation done on an inmate?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How would I go about getting a psychological evaluation done on an inmate?

My sister was recently arrested for letting some tickets get out of hand. Nothing she will be in jail for long, hopefully. She has been spiraling out of control for the last several years and seems totally unaware of what she is doing. My family and I believe that since she is in police custody, that now is the time to try to get a psych eval done on her but where do we start? I’m sorry if I didn’t pick the

correct topic, as this was a strange combination of factors and since it would need to go through the court system I figured this was a good a place to start as any.

Asked on March 14, 2018 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The fact that she is in jail for tickets (alone) will not get you into position for a psych eval....however....if you need to get her served with documents to pursue a guardianship or psych eval, this is an opportunity to really push it forward while she is confined.  You need to visit with an attorney that handles guardianships so press the issue forward.  Before you visit with the attorney, take some time to make a timeline of events and issues so that the attorney you visit with will have a clear understanding of her mental health issues.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption