How can I get out of my apartment lease for safety reasons?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get out of my apartment lease for safety reasons?

I don’t feel safe in my apartment complex anymore. There have been many break-ins and a recent armed robbery in the parking lot. I work night shift and I just don’t feel safe. The apartment manager said “they don’t owe any duty of protection to us”.

Asked on March 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unless your current landlord knew of criminal problems in the area where you now rent before you entered into your lease you do not have a legal and factual basis to cancel your lease without recourse. However, if the landlord did know of such information before you signed your lease and did not tell you such, then you could have a reason to end your lease. Proving such is difficult.

Your apartment manager is wrong about not owing a duty of protection to a tenant. If there are criminal acts in the complex where you live, the landlord needs to have a security guard or other security measures in place. I suggest that you consult further with a landlord tenant attorney about your question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption