Can my landlord Invade my privacy?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord Invade my privacy?

I have been renting an apartment for 10 years with no lease. At the begining of the month i told the landlord that I was moving at the end of the month because the rent was too high. I used the deposit i had given 10 years ago to pay for this months rent. All of a sudden and in the middle of the month I have already paid for the landlord comes in paint and moves my stuff around. He has never asked me or even told me he was coming to do anything and he doesnt care about coming in wenever he wants to. What can I do? Is he allowed to do this?

Asked on March 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

1) No, the landlord may not do this. A landlord may enter, on reasonable notice (generally held to be 24 hours) to show the premises to prospective renters or buyers or perform maintenance, but may not enter without notice, to prep the apartment for re-rental when they involves moving the tenant's belongings.

2) However, it is unclear what you can do if this is over and done--the legal system only provides compensation for actual injuries or loss, not merely for inconvenience or one-time invasions of privacy, so you  could sue for enough money to offset the cost of the lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption