How can I get legally removed from a defaulted auto loan I co-signed for my daughter?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I get legally removed from a defaulted auto loan I co-signed for my daughter?

Daughters car was repossessed and the car was resold. The finance company is attempting to receive payment for about $11,000 – the difference between the amount Honda resold the car for and the loan amount. Honda tried working with my daughter for a repayment schedule for a reduced amount (amount unknown) and she defaulted on these payments as well. There is no love lost between me and my daughter at this point. The only property I own is my newer vehicle which has a loan. I am in early retirement with a part-time job, live in an apartment with my other daughter, and do not have a large pool of money.

Asked on January 3, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There is generally no way to be legally removed--once you cosign a loan, you are obligated for it. (Or more technically: if the other parties--you daughter and the finance company--both agreed to remove you, you could be removed; the odds of them both agreeing are vanishingly small, since it's in neither of their interests.) If you could somehow show fraud--i.e. the loan or what you were signing was mispresented to you--that might constitute grounds to escape the obligation, but that is very unlikely on something as straightforward as co-signing for your daughter.

If you cannot afford the obligation, you may need to consider bankruptcy as an option.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption