If I received a $740 water bill and the city said it was due to my water meter having been broken forover a year, do I have to pay?

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I received a $740 water bill and the city said it was due to my water meter having been broken forover a year, do I have to pay?

Asked on January 3, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Before you pay the water bill for $740.00, you should first verify the charges due to the broken water meter in person with a representative of the water company in person. Once verified, you need to ascertain what the charges really would have been on a monthly basis for this year plus time period compared to what you were paying as well as receive an acceptable explanation from the water company's representative as to why it took so long to figure out that the water meter was broken.

If it appears that you really owe the $740.00, you would be legally obligated to pay the bill. Before paying the full amout, I would try and negotiate payment in full for a lesser amount.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption