How can I become a legal resident while having B1 B2 visa from Pakistan?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I become a legal resident while having B1 B2 visa from Pakistan?

I lived in the for 4 years while I went to college and moved back to Pakistan to please my parents and get married. The marriage didn’t workout and now I have my 2 kids and would like to move away from Pakistan and to the US. How can I do this?

Asked on January 1, 2016 under Immigration Law, Virginia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You cannot just become a US permanent resident.  You need to be petitioned for permanent residence, either by a qualifying family relative (spouse, child, parent, sibling) or by a US employer on the basis of a valid job offer.  Do you have any such resources?  If not, you will need to look for something to get the employment process started as that would be your most reliable option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption