Can a company prosecute you for falsifying a time card after you were terminated you for a different reason?

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a company prosecute you for falsifying a time card after you were terminated you for a different reason?

I was terminated as a store manager 2 weeks ago. They Sad it was because of poor performance. It happened while I was out due to hurting my foot. I didn’t’t feel I had poor performance and had made bonuses the month before. I filed for unemployment and my claim officer said that they saidthey fired me because of falsifying time cards and that they have proof if needed. I have not done that to my knowledge. If this were true then why didn’t they tell me that when they fired me? So is it possible be prosecuted for this?

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Idaho


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country an employee is terminable at will unless there is a written contract to the contrary.

If your former employer gave as a reason for your termination poor performance when in reality you had falisfied your time card, it is possible that after the fact your former employer could file a police report for falsifying time records based upon newly discovered evidence on its part.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption