How can I be sued when I wasn’t notified of damages?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I be sued when I wasn’t notified of damages?

My son at the time was 17, barely bumped and
left a scratch on a ladys car. The lady was fine
while we waited for the police to show up then
she asked for an ambulance all of a sudden. 4
days before the two year of statute of
limitations was up she filed a lawsuit seeking
damages but in the whole two years we didn’t
hear a word about the accident. My son went to
court paid his fine and we thought it was over,
now this. How can she get away with this?

Asked on April 19, 2017 under Accident Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The other party notified your insurance company of her damages, but the case was not settled with your insurance company.  Therefore, the lawsuit was filed because the statute of limitations was approaching.
Your insurance company will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you.  Refer the matter and any documents you receive regarding the case to your insurance (the auto insurance company you had at the time of the accident) and the insurance company's attorney will handle it for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption