Someone hit my car and they have no insurance, this was in Kentucky, what can I do?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Someone hit my car and they have no insurance, this was in Kentucky, what can I do?

I was driving on a city street in Covington, KY and a woman pulled onto the
street without stopping and t-boned my car. I found out that she had no
insurance. Having full-coverage insurance on my car which includes
accidents with people with no insurance. Can my insurance premiums go up
and what actions can I take. My insurance is going ahead and fixing my car
but I have to pay the deductible. The only thing that women got was a ticket
for no insurance and because she has no insurance my insurance and myself
has to pay, it seems so unfair

Asked on April 19, 2017 under Accident Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your insurance probably will go up in cost, but there's nothing you can do about that--that's up to the insurer, which can increase the price to you when you have a claim (there is no law against this).
You can sue the at-fault driver for your deductible and any other out-of-pocket (not paid by insurance) costs, such as if you had to rent a car for a time. Suing in small claims court is a very good option, to not just minimize legal fees (you can act as your own attorney, or "pro se") but also to expedite matters (small claims court is faster than other courts).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption