If I work full time and travel for work 40% of the time but I’m pregnant with my first child, what rights do I have with my company?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I work full time and travel for work 40% of the time but I’m pregnant with my first child, what rights do I have with my company?

I want to keep my job after the baby is born, but won’t be able to do all the overnights I am currently doing with an infant. Does the company have to make accommodations for me? If they were to transfer me to a different position, does it have to be the same level or can they offer me a lower position within the company for less money?

Asked on January 25, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, they don't have to accommodate you in this way, if the business travel is, as it seems from what you write, a core or intergral part of your job: reasonable accommodations are changes that let you do the job you currently have/do with some minor changes or assistance, but if the job is to travel 40% of the time, they don't need to let you not travel, or transfer you to a different job, etc.--you still have to be able to do *the same* job you are currently doing. So if travel if a key part of your job, they can require you to keep traveling or else terminate you.
They could also, in the above case, choose to give you a different position, either at the same or a lower level, but that is their choice; you have no write to that.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption