Final Paycheck Withheld

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Final Paycheck Withheld

I was an at will employee working for an Akron, OH company making 55,000 per
year. I recently quit…the next payroll day direct deposit came and went
without my final paycheck being paid. I am paid bi weekly…what do I need to do
to get this paid? Now it is causing undo pain and suffering as I was counting on
that paycheck.
thank you

Asked on November 11, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In WI, when you leave a job, you have to be paid on the next regularly scheduled payday. The rules are the same if you quit or were fired. If you are not properly paid, you can file a wage claim with the Dept of Workforce Development Equal Rights Division. Many employers will pay when they lose a wage claim, however if your company still refuses to pay, they will forward the complaint to the local District Attorney. If the DA doesn't fight for your claim, you may have to file in small claims court court yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption