If my company wants to change my hours after 14 years but I have a newborn and can’t work the new hours, can they fire me for this?

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my company wants to change my hours after 14 years but I have a newborn and can’t work the new hours, can they fire me for this?

I have never complained about my schedule before but in the past year there has been an employee who was murdered while working the hours they want me to work. I currently work from 9:15 am to 5:45 pm and they want to change it to 11a to 7:00 pm. The other employee was killed around 7p. There are no lights, security or anyone else working in the area at that time. I also have an 8 week old son who I am paying daycare for every week. They close at 6:00 pm. I am completely stressed about this.

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


Micah Longo / The Longo Firm

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Florida is an at-will employment state;  this simply means that you can be terminated for any reason as long as it is not an unlawful reason.  An example of an unlawful reason would be firing you because you're a woman, or pregnant, or hispanic.

In your case, if you are unwilling to work the hours they want you to work, you could be terminated.  While it may be a poor business decision to have a women working these hours, given the history, the court will not second guess the business decision of your employer.

My advice would be to voice your concerns to your supervisor in writing. Be sure not to sugarcoat your complaints/concerns.  If they fire you for voicing your concerns, you may have a retaliation claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption