I married an army colonel after my divorce. He recently was re-assigned to another out-of-state base. Could my ex-husband stop us from taking the children to the new location?

When you have a legal custody arrangement in place, it generally indicates whether you may move with the children and if so, how far you may move. For example, it is common for a custody arrangement to mandate that a parent may not move with a child more than a set number of miles or minutes away. Regardless of whether your custody arrangement expressly limits your right to move or not, you will still need to inform your ex of the move and you will need to get permission from either your ex or the court to modify a custody agreement or to move with a child before you pack your bags.

→ Read More