Can I move out of state with my child without the other parent’s consent?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

If custody and visitation have already been decided, you cannot move out if doing so violates a court order or settlement. Sometimes the order or agreement will state that you can’t relocate. Even if it doesn’t say that, if relocating prevents the other parent from getting the custody or visitation to which he or she is entitled, it may be prohibited. An order or settlement can be modified to allow relocation, but this will require going back to court and showing that it is in the child’s best interest and at least minimally fair to the other parent.

Child custody and the question of relocation is one of the most hotly fought battles in family law today. The fact is, if your ex-spouse has visitation rights, but not shared physical or legal custody, they still have parental rights.

The first thing to do when considering relocating with your children is to review your current custody agreement. This is a legal, binding document and oftentimes, the issue of relocation has already been addressed in the agreement. If it has and it is favorable to allowing you to relocate with your and your ex-spouse’s children, all you have to do is follow the guidelines that have been spelled out in the agreement. It is extremely important to follow the guidelines as outlined in the agreement. If you violate any of the terms of the custody agreement, violation can adversely affect your move. Relocation directives can be found in your custody agreement, parenting plan, or in the divorce decree itself.

If relocation is prohibited or limited in a way as to be unfavorable to your move or it has not been addressed at all you will have to file a relocation order with the courts. Moving without consent of the court in such a situation is taken very seriously by the legal system. Relocating without the court’s consent, if your custody agreement flat out prohibits it, can lead to a kidnapping charge. So be sure to obtain the court’s approval.

In making its decision as to whether or not to allow a spouse to relocate to another state with children, the courts will look at a number of factors. The courts will consider the reason for the move, how far away you plan to go, if relocation will result in a better quality of life for your children, how the move will affect visitation, and similar considerations. A court would be more inclined to allow a move for a legitimate purpose. For example, the court will look at a relocation request more favorably if the move is motivated by a desire to be closer to family or for an offer of a better job as opposed to an attempt to get away from the other spouse in a deliberate effort to limit their access to the children.

Finally, if no legal visitation has been ordered, then in such a case, moving should not be a problem as it will not affect the other parents access. Since relocating out-of-state may require court action, you should consider contacting an experienced family law attorney in your area.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption