What are my rights if my employer not paying me?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my employer not paying me?

My employer paid me by check and I deposited the check into my checking account. I found out the next day, my employer had placed a stop-payment on the check. I had deposited the check and withdrew money to pay my utility bill, which threw my account into default. I called my employer, threatened legal action and the owner deposited another check into my account. The bank now places a 7 day hold on any monies not direct deposited into my account due to the issue. I explained his to the owner and again, he deposited a check into my account at a local branch by the office. I am again 7 days without funds. Is there anything that I can do?

Asked on July 29, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your employer was paying you: it's simply that the bank was then placing a 7-day hold on the funds. The employer is not responsible for the bank's policies or actions, and depositing a check into your account at a local branch fulfills his obligation to pay you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption