Does POA entitle that person to remove items from mother’s home

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does POA entitle that person to remove items from mother’s home

My brother and his wife have POA over my mother who has dementia and is in a nursing home. My brother passed away 2 weeks ago. His wife, her mother, and her 1st ex-husband have been taking items such as furniture and other things out of my mother’s home. She says she has the right to because she has POA. Is this legal? Also is she even still part of my family since my brother has passed?

Asked on July 26, 2019 under Estate Planning, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is not legal unless they are doing this for her benefit (e.g. moving her items to storage to keep them safe; moving some items to her room at the nursing home so she can use or be comforted by them; etc.). A POA gives you power over another person's possessions *for their benefit*; if you are given power by a POA, you have a "fiduciary duty," or duty imposed by law, to be loyal to that person's interests and not benefit yourself at their expense. 
Unfortunately, the police are not likely to get involved because of the POA; they will view this as a "civil" matter to be resolved by a lawsuit or the courts. You may have to bring a legal action to have the POA revoked and get a court order that they return what they took, and have someone else who will not take advantage of your mother (like yourself) appointed her legal guardian if she is not mentally competent. Consult with an elder law attorney to understand and explore you options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption