Can I sue our landlord for giving a handyman a key to our house without us there?

UPDATED: Aug 11, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 11, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue our landlord for giving a handyman a key to our house without us there?

My husband and I were out of town for a week and had been having plumbing problems. We told our landlord not to let anybody inside the house unless they would be with them. Instead, our landlord hired some handymen and gave them a key. The handymen have stolen our spare debit card, wedding rings, check books, and camera. We are out about $3,000 so far. Was it legal for our landlord to do this?

Asked on August 11, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your landlord for negligence for not supervising the handymen.  Your damages (the amount of compensation you are seeking to recover) would be the value of the stolen items or the cost of their replacement (wedding rings and camera).  If there are any additional losses to your accounts from fraudulent use of the debit card or checkbooks, those losses should be included in your damages. Your damages should also include court costs such as the court filing fee and process server fee.  You should immediately contact your bank to stop fraudulent use of the debit card and checkbooks.

In addition to your civil suit against the landlord, you should also contact the police regarding the items stolen by the handymen.  If you are dissatisfied with the response from the police, it would be advisable to contact the District Attorney's office to pursue criminal charges against the handymen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption