Does a school district have the right to publish a student’s name on-line without parental consent?

UPDATED: Sep 28, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 28, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a school district have the right to publish a student’s name on-line without parental consent?

This would be under Oregon law.

Asked on September 28, 2010 under Personal Injury, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking a parent would have to sign a waiver and consent form in order for child's name and say photograph to be published anywhere in any state.  This is for many reasons and privacy is but one of them.  Safety is another.  Is it possible that you signed one that may have been contained in a general form sent home from school?  I would go and double check with your child's school as t the consent forms that you have executed on your child's behalf.  They should have them on file and they would be the one that forwarded the consent to the school district.  Did your child enter a contest by any chance?  Maybe in the entry for there would be a consent for the district to use your child's name.  Ask a lot of questions here before you blow up.  You need to get all your ducks in a row.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption