Am I responsible for my wife’s medical bill?

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I responsible for my wife’s medical bill?

My wife had a doctor bill that has now gone to collections. The collection agency filed a motion for judgement but it also has my name on this. I never had any obligation to this account other than it was my wifes. Can the collection agency name me in this?

Asked on June 29, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Nebraska


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of most states in this country, the marital assets of spouses (as opposed to separate assets) are legally responsible for the debts of one spouse incurred during the marriage.

With respect to you being personally being obligated for your wife's medical bill, unless you signed a document stating that you would be, then you are not. Given the legal matter going on concerning you and your wife, I suggest that you both consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to assist you in the matter you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption