Does a juvenile court judge have the right to tell me that I cannot homeschool my son because he is on probation?

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a juvenile court judge have the right to tell me that I cannot homeschool my son because he is on probation?

My 14 year old son is on juvenile probation. A condition of his probation is that he attend school. I have recently filed a letter of intent to homeschool with our local school district and his probation officer has told me that this may not meet the conditions of his probation and that if I go ahead with homeschooling his probation may be violated.

Asked on December 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If the probabtion officer is of the opinion that your son who is on juvenile probation (where a requirement is that he attend mainstream school) may be in violation of his probation if you home schooled him, then you need to listen to the probation officer's opinion and make a determination if home schooling is going to be the choice for him.

I suggest that if you have a criminal defense attorney for your son that he or she be authorized to file a petition with the juvenile court for permission to attend home school. If the petition is approved, then you do not have to worry about a violation of his probation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption