How long on average cansomeone remain intheir house oncethey stop payingtheir mortgage?

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long on average cansomeone remain intheir house oncethey stop payingtheir mortgage?

If I stop paying my mortgage next month on average how long can I remain in my house until they can evict me?

Asked on July 27, 2011 Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you do not make a payment for your home's mortgage for August 2011, you will probably get a notice of default by mid September 2011. You might get a notice of trustee's sale by statute for sale with a mid-December 2011 sale date.

Trustee's sale if it happens in December 2011 would not result in an eviction of you (or keys for cash) until mid January 2012 at the earliest in all likelihood.

The above is soley an estimate and assumes that the mortgage company moves very quickly on foreclosure proceedings against you.

The keys for cash program is where the former owner is given some money to vacate the foreclosed property voluntarily in exchange for the home's keys.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption