Do I need to trademark a name for a small artsand crafts business in order to put an ad in a local town newspaper?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need to trademark a name for a small artsand crafts business in order to put an ad in a local town newspaper?

Do I need a tax ID number even if I do not charge tax?

Asked on October 20, 2011 under Business Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) There is no obligation to trademark a name--its something that is for your own benefit or advantage, so you can choose to not do it.

2) You do need to make sure that your chosen business name does not infringe anyone else's trademark. An intellectual property attorney can do a proper search for you  (and also trademark your name, if appropriate), but if you don't want to do that, at a minimum do some internet (e.g. "google") searches and see what comes up for that name.

3) If you set up a corporation or LLC, you will get a tax ID number. If you are sole proprietorship, you will use your own social security number as a business tax ID number.

4) Check the laws in your state for arts and crafts business--the law will tell you if you have to charge tax or not.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption