If I hire an attorney to help me collect alimony, can I make my ex-husband responsible for attorney fees and court costs?

UPDATED: May 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I hire an attorney to help me collect alimony, can I make my ex-husband responsible for attorney fees and court costs?

I filed for my own divorce, had my ex-husband served after I hunted him down for hi address. He didn’t contest the divorce so he wasn’t there when the judge awarded me everything asked for in the divorce. I took him back to court for unpaid alimony and the court ordered he pay owed support while at the same time continue to pay monthly support. The judge also deemed he was to notify the court of any changes in address. The ex fail to do so. It has taken me 3 years to find his current address. I feel that I can’t do this on my own anymore.

Asked on May 9, 2012 under Family Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the statutes of most states as well as local rules of the given county and state where a child support order or a spousal support order is in effect but is not being honored, the court in its discretion can order the offending person not paying the support order to pay the reasonable costs and attorney's fees of the person bringing the motion to compel compliance with the given support order.

In your matter, there is a good chance that the attorney's fees that you may incur in getting the spousal support order complied with by your former spouse may be ordered to be paid by the court as well by the former spouse. I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney in the county and state where your reside to be sure of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption