Do I need a lawyer to collect past due child support from my child’s father?

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I need a lawyer to collect past due child support from my child’s father?

I have applied for child support. My child’s father and I were never married. I am awaiting to hear back from child support if he has been served papers so we can go to court. He has retained an attorney. He recently got married a week ago. I am wondering, will her income be factored in the child support as she will be there to support her husband? From my understanding she wants to talk to the judge. His wife and I  met once for a brief moment. Do I need to get an attorney as well?

Asked on February 23, 2012 under Family Law, Georgia


Paula McGill / Paula J. McGill, Attorney at Law

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You aren't required to obtain counsel.  However, when one side has an attorney, it is always good to obtain your own counsel to advise you.  

Her income will not be considered directly in the child support matter.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption