Do I have to sign anything cause my biological father died?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to sign anything cause my biological father died?

My biological father passed away. I havent
seen him since I was a small child.

Suddenly I heard of him passing, I gave my
sympathies and figured that was the end.
Now his sister/my aunt who also Ive never
even met or heard of before all this will not stop
contacting me.

It started by saying I was next of kin/he didnt
have a proper Will so assets go to me? She
then said I had to sign papers about cremation
and signing my rights to her so I wouldnt have
to pay funeral cost and everything.
I ended up tryin to ignore her cause no matter
what shed go in detail how if I didnt sign it Id
be stuck paying for medical bills and cost
I panicked and tried figuring out what to do
while working full time but I received an email
stating that since I took so long the Arizona law
says she gets full rights anyway?
I figured that was fine since I never wanted
anything pertaining to assets or anything

But its been over a month now and shes
started emailing again
Saying shes disgusted I havent sent in the
paper work and how she cant give him a
proper burial? When mentioned to her that she
even told me that the law gave rights to her she
said she was wrong and Id have to
immediately sign the papers they sent me or
shed take legal action against me.

I dont know what to do.
Whenever I ask her or her lawyer a question
or mention something Im immediately ignored
til they threaten legal action

He never even signed my birth certificate
I havent heard from him my entire childhood
into adulthood
I dont even live in the same state

Please help.

Asked on April 23, 2018 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are NOT liable or responsible for his bills, medical expenses, or funeral costs unless you agreed to pay them or guaranteed them: otherwise, they are estate expenses (i.e. have to be paid out of the money and other assets left behind by the person). A person's adult child is NOT responsible for their bills and costs except to the extent they voluntarily took them on. If they are threatening you with those bills, they are lying to you (since even if she does not know the law, her lawyer certainly does; therefore, this is almost certainly not an innocent mistake or error).  Since they are lying to you about this, they may be lying to you about other things--such as that you may be entitled to a meaningful inheritance. You are advised to retain a probate attorney to help you respond to them and protect your rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption