Can my landlord give me a notice to remove my dog if I paid a pet fee?

UPDATED: Dec 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord give me a notice to remove my dog if I paid a pet fee?

My dog entered a vacant room in my apartment and broke a water pipe and ripped up some carpet. My landlord stated they may have to ask me to remove my dog.

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your dog caused damage at the rental that you have, your landlord is entirely in his or her right to ask that you remove your pet from the premises even if you paid for the damage. The landlord has a legitimate concern that your pet may cause more damages to the unit he owns and that perhaps you might not be able to pay for it.

I also suggest that you read the presumed written lease that you have for your rental in that it controls the obligations owed to your by the landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law. Most likely the written lease has a provision regarding pets and grounds for termination of the lease and removal of any troublesome pets. If so, the terms of the written lease would govern what can and cannot be done regarding your pet.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption