Do I have grounds to take someone to court if he made unauthorized cash advances on my credit cards?

UPDATED: Jan 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have grounds to take someone to court if he made unauthorized cash advances on my credit cards?

The person in question is someone with which I was involved. He lived with my children and me, and proceeded to take cash advances for several months off of my credit cards. He has a long history of DUIs and drug possession. He was a cardholder on a few of the accounts, but not all of them. He was handling the banking and billing for me, and therefore I had no idea that he was making cash advances on my credit cards. The grand total is over $20,000.

Asked on January 1, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If a third person made unauthorized used of cash advances on your credit cards, you have the following options:

1. immediately notify the credit card companies where there was an unauthorized cash advance and report the situation as a fraud and place a freeze on all of your credit cards;

2. contact law enforcement about the situation in order to make a police report;

3. contact the offender directly about the situation and work out some agreement in writing as to how he will repay the $20,000 plus taken from your credit cards;

4. contact an attorney specializing in credit card fraud about the situation that you are confronted with for assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption