Can you file for bankruptcy in the USA even though you are living in the Netherlands?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you file for bankruptcy in the USA even though you are living in the Netherlands?

A neighbor of mine is from CA. She has a house worth half the original amount and is wondering what her options are. One of the things she was wondering about was if she could file for bankruptcy. However she is living in the Netherlands and has a house here; the amount owing on the house equals the market rate of the house. Could she file for bankruptcy for the US? How would that affect her in the Netherlands? To cover the house in the US at the moment she is having to send money home to the US to cover this house even though it is rented out.

Asked on January 2, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


Mark J. Markus / Mark J. Markus, Law Offices of

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, she can file here.  She should read my article on this topic at 

for more information.


Mark J. Markus, Attorney at Law

Handling exclusively bankruptcy law cases in California since 1991.

bankruptcy blog:

Follow Me on Twitter:  @bklawr

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption