Do I have a suit against for allowing my husband to open up a fraudulent account regarding the business that I solely own?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a suit against for allowing my husband to open up a fraudulent account regarding the business that I solely own?

A well known bank allowed my soon to be ex-husband to open up a business account in my company’s name. I brought this to their attention and they said they could not discuss it with me after telling me my name was not on the account; there was nothing they could do to rectify the situation. This even after showing them my LLC paperwork. I am sole owner of my business and it states that on my LLC documentation. Do I have a case against this bank? If so, what do I need to do to get this going? I have tried going to the bank but they would not help. They told me my lawyer would have to handle it. I have tried filing a police report but the police said it was a civil matter because it was my (soon-to-be ex)-husband who opened the business account fradulently.

Asked on February 20, 2012 under General Practice, Alabama


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to file a complaint with your state attorney general and the agency who regulates this bank. Then you need to push and push. Further, get state and federal senators involved and you may need indeed to hire an attorney to sue your soon to be ex-husband and the bank and bank employees and then make them pay for damages, make them fix your credit report and make them pay for your attorney's fees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption