UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I was recently terminated from my
job. The reason was that I was on
drugs.She never drug tested me just
hearsay. I am on probation. She
went straight to the Workforce
Commission for me not to collect
unemployment. Not that I would.

Asked on October 3, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If she has told other people (not just you) that you were on drugs when you were not, that would be defamation ("slander" is oral, or spoken, defamaton; libel is written defamation). Defamation is the making of untrue factual assertions about a person which damage his or her repuation. Based on what you write, you may well have a viable lawsuit for defamation; to explore it, consult with a personal injury attorney (the same lawyers who do slip-and-fall and car accident cases tend to be the ones who do defamation cases, too).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption