How canI enforce the items of a divorce settlement agreement?

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How canI enforce the items of a divorce settlement agreement?

My now ex-wife and I were divorced 8 months ago. A settlement agreement was done and agreed to by us both and submitted and stamped final by courts. Now there are items that is in the agreement that she refuses to hand over.

Asked on September 10, 2011 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  You have a few options here.  The settlement agreement is a contract and the rights and liabilities of the parties are stated there in.  If she is refusing to hand over items listed in the contract you can sue her based upon the terms and for performance of the contract.  You can also sue her for contempt, as the agreement was, I am sure, incorporated by reference in the court's order.  And failing to comply with the court's order is contempt of court.  Judge's do not like it when people disobey their orders and it could be quite an ordeal for her.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption