Divorce rights

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Divorce rights

My boyfriends ex wife filed for a divorce. Right now she has a restraining order against him. They have 4 children together. My boyfriend pays all her bills- house, utilities, car, child support, etc. How is he supposed to support himself when he’s paying all her bills? How should he proceed? Currently does not have the money for another lawyer.

Asked on July 18, 2017 under Family Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If a court has ordered his payments, or he agreed to them in a written divorce settlement or agreement, they can *only* be modified by a court, if he makes a motion (a formal request to the court) for a hearing to modify the payments based on a change in his life circumstances making the current payment schedule impossible. He would have to show that something *beyond his control* (e.g. layoff, termination, disability, etc.) occured, causing him to not be able to pay what he agreed to pay or was ordered to pay. While having an attorney would clearly help him, he is legally allowed to proceed without an attorney (as his own lawyer, or "pro se").
If there is no court order or written divorce agreement/settlement yet and he is simply voluntarily paying these things, then he may pay her less if he chooses. Payments are only locked in or mandatorywhen there is an order or settlement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption