NJ Do I need an annulment from the courts?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

NJ Do I need an annulment from the courts?

Hi, I married a man in November 2013. marriage certificate was approved, name
change, etc In January 2014, I found out he never divorced his 1st wife. I spoke
directly to the legal-wife who admitted they never divorced. Additionally, I
called the courts to confirm no divorce is on record for their marriage. This man
committed bigamy. His parents admitted it also
I would like to remarry soon – but do not want this to delay things since we did
receive a marriage certificate. He was super abusive and I have a restraining
order so if I could keep this out of court I would sleep better at night Out of
sight out of mind to him
I have heard I do NOT need an annulment since it was never a legal marriage but I
need someone to confirm it

Asked on July 18, 2017 under Family Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your "husband" was already legally married at the time you wed, then in the eyes of the law your marriage is null and void. This means that it is as if it never happened. Accordingly, no divorce is necessary. That having been said, you may want to obtain an anullment so as to clear up any legal formalities/complications. At this point, you may want to consult directly with a divorce attorney who cans best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption