Derivative citizenship.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Derivative citizenship.

My son is 17 years old and we my wife,
our son and I have been here since
2017. We are from Venezuela. Political
Asylum seekers, waiting for interview
My wife’s grandmother was and American
citizen born in England and
naturalized Amarica, he was also a
WWI’s veteran.
question can our son acquire the
American citizenship? we arrived to USA
when he was 15.

Asked on March 28, 2019 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You have to go through the process of checking whether all the people with citizenship satisfied the conditions of having had sufficient physical presence in the US after a certain age in order to see whether they were eligible to pass along that citizenship to the children/grandchildren.  It is not an abstract concept but has to actually be documented in order to make a successful claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption