Rhode Island Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Changing your name in Rhode Island is a relatively simple procedure. Only one form is required, which you must complete and file with the proper court at which time you will be required to pay a fee. Here is more information that will help you navigate the process.

What forms are required for a Rhode Island name change?

The following form is required to change your name in Rhode Island:

  • Change of Name Form (Form PC-8.1)

This form can be found on the Rhode Island Secretary of State website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Rhode Island?

The completed form must be filed with the probate court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. Ask the clerk if he or she may perform the function of a notary public. If not, check with your bank. Banks often offer notary services for free for their account holders.

Is there a filing fee in Rhode Island for a name change?

Yes. Check with the court clerk to determine the amount. You may have the fee waived if you can show financial hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The court clerk will tell you the date of your court hearing.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. You must publish notice of your name change in a local newspaper. Ask the clerk for more information on when and where to publish your notice.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption